Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Is The Rise Of Wearable Electronics Finally Here?

For decades I’ve wanted interesting, beautiful, and (sometimes) functional electronics on the most personal geographies of all, myself. When I think of “living in the future”, it’s what springs to mind: subtle LEDs, lots of polished metal.

Here are some milestones, mistakes, and projects in the world of wearable electronics. From geeky watches to wearable music players – I’ve always wanted to utilise my wrist real estate to my shoes for electronics of some kind. Many of the “wearables” I’m going to share are from my project archives, some are now “real,” and others are products that are out now. I think we’re finally entering an era where wearable electronics can look good and work well.

Top image via Jlndrr on Flickr

As my friend Bryce recently said:

As the price for enabling components drops, always-on connectivity in our pockets and purses increases, and access to low-cost manufacturing resources and know-how rises we’ll see innovation continue to push into these most personal forms of computing. From pedometers to cufflinks and from connected ski goggles to connected watches the rise of the wearables is upon us…

Now, this is a long article so I won't post it all here now.. check out the full thing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment