Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A New Spin on Things

It's been a fair while since TapeMonkey has been updated but I've decided to have another go at it with a slightly different spin. There's still going to be tech updates, and nerdy news but I'm also going to start posting more about my new garden and the success and failures with my vegetable garden out the front of our unit in Northern Melbourne. Along side the garden I'll include some stuff that I've been cooking.. it may include stuff from the garden, it may not but hey I'll all look good :)

After seening an interview with Indira Nasdoo, a local Australian new reader, about her new book "The Edible Balcony" I got inspired to get stuck in and change out front garden into something that will actually start providing produce for our little family. I mean, I've got way more then a tiny little inner city balcony and by the sounds of it she's able to produce almost enough food to save her from shopping.

So moving forward without even opening a cover of the book that inspired me this lil nerd started getting his hands dirty too see what exactly he could make out of his front garden.

Our unit is in the Northern Suburbs of Melbourne Australia and is Nth Facing. The front is approx 1.5 meters wide and 12 meters long, so just a standard front garden. Here's a picture of one side of our front garden.


To start I'm going try and grow the following things...

Carrots
Corn
Chili's (as many kinds I can find)
Stacks of herbs
Lemons, Lime & Oranges (Hybrid trees... way to go!)
Pumpkins
Tomatos

I'll keep updating the site with my progress, and any tips I discover along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment